Heading into Semi-Quarantine


My friend Tara was sent home from work today, along with all her fellow employees, because a woman who works just across the hall had a sudden fever spike. This is a town government about 20 miles north of Providence. Tara and I took a walk and hugged just yesterday, so this is probably the closest I've come to a potential exposure, at least knowingly (the woman in question is just now being tested, so it could be nothing).

Anyway, Tara is really worried and sad. But her boss, the town manager, has not been taking any of this very seriously--he's the responsible party. She is putting herself into 14-day quarantine. I'm going to Maine tomorrow and will monitor closely.

It's worth noting how varied the responses are at present. Brown has basically shut down, and I have been told that I am to come to my office only for short periods and only if absolutely necessary. Rhode Island has closed all bars and restaurants, banned meetings of more than 25 people, and is rumored to be considering closing other businesses. Meanwhile, up to today they (Tara's job) have been going to work as if nothing is happening (even though their schools are closed)!

Let's all jump on old paint and head for Montana!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog